Luxury hand-made English Crystal from Cumbria Crystal
Cumbria Crystal is the only producer of completely hand-blown and hand-cut luxury English lead-crystal in the United Kingdom.
Located in the English Lake District, a UNESCO World Heritage site, our team of 23 highly skilled artisans specialise in traditional glassmaking methods using techniques barely changed since the Roman era. Training for our glass blowers is 15 years, for glass cutters 5 years.
Crystal without compromise – we aspire to produce the highest quality hand-crafted crystal in the world.Cumbria Crystal is the crystal of choice for all British Embassies & Consulates worldwide and graces many formal dinners and state occasions for Royal families. The company manufactures bespoke collections for many luxury brands including Bentley and Rolls Royce.
Orders are produced especially for the client – each piece is completely hand-made and takes the collective skills of nine artisans at least 10 days to blow, cut, polish and finish – all done in-house.
Free shipping on orders
over $5oo from the Downton Abbey Exhibition section only
Luxury English heritage – Cumbria Crystal
- Last producer of luxury hand blown & hand cut 24% lead-crystal in the UK.
- Located in Cumbria, Lake District National Park, England, UNESCO World Heritage Site
- A small heritage company with only 23 craftsmen & women.
- The training for a glass blower is around 15 years.
- Specialise in using traditional, 2000 year old, production techniques & avoiding mechanisation.
- Whilst there are always minor variations in hand made crystal quality expectations are such that only 50% of what is created is awarded the ‘Premium Quality’ status.
- Company aspiration: – to produce the best hand-made crystal in the world.
- Everything is hand-made from the raw material (sand) & nothing is sub-contracted.
- Orders are bespoke made for the client as very limited stocks are held.
- A typical product takes at least 10/12 days to make. Therefore typical delivery is 4 weeks.
- Most products can be personalised. Please enquire.
- The company was founded in 1976 by Lord & Lady Cavendish. The House of Cavendish is a famous British Noble House. The Cavendish family is one of the richest and most influential aristocratic families in England with many connections to the Royal family.
- Grasmere – (Downton Abbey collection) was actually designed by Lady Cavendish.
- Grasmere is the name of the lake & local village where the poet William Wordsworth lived for 14 years. He called it as “the loveliest spot that man hath ever found.”
- Cumbria Crystal is used for formal dining in all British Embassies worldwide.
- Cumbria Crystal is used by Royal families worldwide.
- Cumbria Crystal is an official manufacturer of crystal for Bentley Motors.
- The company produces crystal for Rolls Royce & many other famous brands.
- Cumbria Crystal is regularly commissioned for super yachts & private jets worldwide.
- Grasmere DOF whisky tumbler was used by Daniel Craig in Casino Royale.
- Lead crystal has a high specific gravity so it refracts light more than normal glass, making it sparkle more. Its weight denotes quality & tradition.
- In October 2018 a 62 piece suite of Cumbria Crystal was auctioned in Dallas raising $70k for charity.